Friday 24 July 2015

ANZAC Letter by Matthew

ANZAC COVE
Gallipoli
Turkey
28 April 1915


Dear Mum and Dad,

We just arrived in Turkey and the turks started shooting at us when we got off the boat. Some soldiers that got off from the back of the boat died because the water was really deep.

I feel like I regret going to war because it’s really scary. I really don’t want to die. I feel that one day I would get shot and no one will remember me. Living conditions here are really horrible, people dig holes and use the hole as a toilet. It really smells here because no-one here has had a bath for ages. People are getting nits and they’re spreading. I really don’t like it here in Gallipoli.

I really miss you and the food at home because we eat bully beef and really hard biscuits. We also just have tea as a drink. I miss all of my friends that didn't come to war.

Could you please send me some ice cream, some better food, toilet paper, chocolate and some socks. Thank you very much for your kind donation Mum and Dad.

All the best and love Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment